Prep 24 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This is a Lebanese dish. I like it cuz it pretty much has everything in it and it's very flavorful. It seems like a lot of work but it's really worth the time and effort.
- 1 whole skinless chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggplants, peeled & sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes, sliced
- 3 cups rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup raw nuts, such as cashew, pistachios (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon spices
- salt, as desired
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Boil the chicken and reserve the broth.
- Fry the slices of eggplants until golden and set aside.
- Fry the nuts in the ghee and set aside.
- Soak and rinse the rice and place in a bowl.
- Add the spices and salt to the rice.
- In a pot place slices of tomatoes and eggplant at the bottom until covered.
- Put about 1 cup of the rice over the eggplant and tomatoes.
- Place a few pieces of chicken over the rice.
- Put another layer of eggplants & tomatoes over the chicken.
- Put about another cup of rice over the eggplants & tomatoes .
- Put the rest of the chicken over that.
- Put the rest of the rice over the chicken.
- Place the rest of the eggplants & tomatoes over the rice.
- Pour the chicken broth over the layers of rice, chicken and vegetables.
- Place an inverted plate over the final layer and push it down a little.
- Cook for about 3/4 - 1 hr on med to low heat.
- When done remove the dish and invert the pot over a very large dish and garnish with the fried nuts.
- To be served with a salad or yoghurt.
My husband is Lebanese and I tried this recipe for the first time. It was wonderful...he said it tasted like he was back overseas. Thanks....even my twin five year old boys loved it!!! We will for sure be making this again.