Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fantastic cake that does not weigh you down. The presentation is very impressive and the cake is simply luscious, fresh and very satisfying without being heavy.
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (half the orange)
- 1 angel food cake (pre-made storebought)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- PINEAPPLE CURD: Bring juice from canned pineapple to boil. Whisk together eggs, yolk, and sugar in medium bowl. Add to pineapple juice, whisking continuously over medium heat until it becomes thick (3-4 minutes). Take off heat, stir in butter and salt. Pour in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- CAKE: Slice cake horizontally into 3 even layers.
- In a mixing bowl, add vanilla frosting, orange juice and orange zest; stir to combine. Place bottom layer of cake on platter, spread 1/2 of orange frosting on bottom layer, top with mandarin oranges.
- Place another layer of cake on top, spread pineapple curd over this layer and top with 4 slices of pineapple rings cut in 1/2.
- Add third layer of cake, frost all around the sides with rest of orange frosting. Frost top with cream cheese frosting.
- Layer 4 pineapple rings on top, cut into 1/4 and second can of mandarin oranges.Press toasted coconut into sides and on top of cake.