Recipe by papergoddess
Hearty,easy soup for a cold day. Great with a fresh loaf of bread.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
My husband and I enjoyed this uniquely seasoned soup. Never would have thought sage and allspice would be that good together, but was so delicious. Wonderful comfort food--healthy and filling. Thanks for sharing this one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 2 -3 teaspoons chicken soup base (or bouillon)
- 2 chicken legs (drumstick and thigh) or 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup pearl barley (I like my soup thick so I use 3/4 cup)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen green beans or 1 cup lima beans (optional)
- salt and pepper