Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
These are moist brownie like bars with just the right amount of chocolate and peanuts. This recipe was originally high fat, but I successfully substitute applesauce for most of the margarine. Excellent served warm, although still very good cool.
Top Review by Megan from Chicago
I skipped the 2/3 cup sugar just to reduce the calories. I did add the brown sugar. I can see why most people would probably prefer to add in all of the sugar but the bars were still good without the 2/3 cup sugar. I am sure that they are out of this world with the sugar but still good without.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups Raisin Bran cereal (Bran Flakes will also work)
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, cereal, oats, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat margarine, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; Stir together.
- Add in all coconut, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and about 2/3 cup peanuts.
- Spread batter evenly into a greased 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter evenly with remaining chocolate chips and peanuts; lightly press them down on batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 23-27 minutes, until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
- When cool, cut into 21 bars.