Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from DDW's recipe to be lower in fat! Still as tasty, but a little less heavy on the ole waistline. Freezes well. Make a bunch, and freeze them for quick and easy nukeable meals!
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage (optional)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- Combine egg substitute and milk together in a bowl.
- Stir in cheese, oats, chopped onions, salt, and sage.
- Crumble in beef and mix well. It will be a bit gooey at first, but will firm up as you work with it.
- Shape into 8 oval shaped loaves and put on a non-stick pan (a little non-stick spray helps to keep them from sticking!).
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- For OAMC:.
- To Freeze: Place the meat loaves in the casserole dish.
- Wrap with foil and freeze.
- To Reheat: Defrost overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Cooked meat loaves (already topped with sauce) also freeze very well and then can be defrosted and heated in the microwave for a quick meal.
I feel beginner cooks might encounter problems with the recipe as written. I used 1 pound of meat & feel it made 4 average size servings rather than 8. The mixture held together well & patted easily into oval minis. The recipe however mentions topping with a sauce, but none is included here. (I used a mixture of catsup, brown sugar, and mustard and baked it on the loaves the last 10 minutes in the oven to get a nice glaze.) Thank you for sharing the recipe & I look forward to more from your kitchen!
Only easy on the waistline if you can resist eating three or four! Like a previous reviewer, we noticed the mention of sauce and no instructions about sauce, and we, too, made a topping of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. We did make eight loaves of it, and then three of us ate six of them between us. Very tasty, but please edit to add the sauce topping so we can enjoy it your way.