Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in the Company's Coming Muffins & More book. I made a few substitutions to lower the fat & they still came out moist & delicious. The apple flavour comes through really strong!
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (or 50g egg substitute)
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup apple, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make streusel topping by mixing brown sugar, first amount of flour (2 TBS), margarine and cinnamon until crumbly.
- In another bowl, mix together white sugar, baking powder, salt and second amount of flour (1 1/2 cups).
- Make a well in centre of dry ingredients.
- Add beaten egg, milk, applesauce and apples all at once.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 full and sprinkle with streusel.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
These looked beautiful going into the oven... unfortunately, they didn't come out looking as nice. The streusel topping sank into a few of them. And on others, it fell off of the side and burned onto the muffin tin. Also, when I took them out of the tin to place them on a rack to cool, the bottoms of them were all wet with oil. I think the margarine from the streusel did it. The flavour was still good though. I liked the idea of shredding the apple. I just took a medium apple and shredded it with my cheese grater. No peeling or anything. Just stopped when I go to the core. I think that next time, I will leave off the streusel topping. Or maybe make it with shortening instead.