Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am restricted to a low salt diet and one night my wife and I were desperate for something new. And everyone knows how hard it is to think up new ideas for dinner let alone make it low salt. So I created this simple dish and it came out perfect the first time. Enjoy.
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, cut into small strips
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced and cut into small bite sized strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into bite sized strips
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons mrs dash italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-sodium cheddar cheese (helevu good brand)
- Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- in 9x12 or similar pan (i used a round deep dish pizza pan) mix water, rice, peppers, onions and tomato sauce.
- evenly place chicken strips over top of rice mix making sure they are half in and half out of the rice mix. almost like the chicken pieces are swimming.
- evenly pour diced tomatoes over top of entire dish.
- sprinkle garlic powder, mrs dash, cilantro, salt substitute and pepper evenly over entire dish.
- bake uncovered for 35 minute.
- sprinkle both cheeses over the top then sprinkle on the parsley and bake for another 10 minute.
- optional: sprinkle on more parmasagn cheese if desired at the table. another idea is add some mrs dash extra hot seasoning to spice it up.