I am restricted to a low salt diet and one night my wife and I were desperate for something new. And everyone knows how hard it is to think up new ideas for dinner let alone make it low salt. So I created this simple dish and it came out perfect the first time. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, cut into small strips
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced and cut into small bite sized strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into bite sized strips
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons mrs dash italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded low-sodium cheddar cheese (helevu good brand)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- 2in 9x12 or similar pan (i used a round deep dish pizza pan) mix water, rice, peppers, onions and tomato sauce.
- 3evenly place chicken strips over top of rice mix making sure they are half in and half out of the rice mix. almost like the chicken pieces are swimming.
- 4evenly pour diced tomatoes over top of entire dish.
- 5sprinkle garlic powder, mrs dash, cilantro, salt substitute and pepper evenly over entire dish.
- 6bake uncovered for 35 minute.
- 7sprinkle both cheeses over the top then sprinkle on the parsley and bake for another 10 minute.
- 8optional: sprinkle on more parmasagn cheese if desired at the table. another idea is add some mrs dash extra hot seasoning to spice it up.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Salt Italian Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.3 mg
- Sodium 146.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: