Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
This healthy rice dish includes bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and ground ginger for a spicy and satisfying dish without the guilt!
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
- In a large skillet, saute the oil, onion, rice, barley, and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Then add the broth, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper and cover.
- Salt and pepper to taste then simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Then add the beans and hot sauce to taste if desired. Re-cover and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes or until rice and barley are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in coarsley chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
- *you may add shrimp or another pre-cooked meat if you desire. Add when you put in the beans.
- **Also if you don't want to use barley, you can use the full cup of rice. However, barley signifigantly reduces the G.I. the same way basmati rice does.
Great rice recipe. 3 WW points. I was nervous how my family would feel about the barley, but while my husband noticed there was something odd looking about the rice, neither of us could find a difference in the taste or texture. I did not add hot sauce, but felt the dish really could have used some. This does make a lot. We had half tonight for dinner and plan to have the second half tomorrow. Because I did not add any hot sauce the dish will easily be adapted to a Tex-Mex meal. Great dish, I will be keeping the recipe for future use for sure. Tonight I served it with Thai Chicken Cakes With Sweet Chilli Sauce, Spicy Cucumber Salad, and a green salad.