This healthy rice dish includes bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and ground ginger for a spicy and satisfying dish without the guilt!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
- 1In a large skillet, saute the oil, onion, rice, barley, and ginger for 3 minutes.
- 2Then add the broth, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper and cover.
- 3Salt and pepper to taste then simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 4Then add the beans and hot sauce to taste if desired. Re-cover and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes or until rice and barley are fully cooked.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in coarsley chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
- 6*you may add shrimp or another pre-cooked meat if you desire. Add when you put in the beans.
- 7**Also if you don't want to use barley, you can use the full cup of rice. However, barley signifigantly reduces the G.I. the same way basmati rice does.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low G.i. Spicy Thai Vegetable Rice With Cilantro
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.9
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 307.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g