Recipe by velorutionista
Use any small pepper from savory to fiery--these poppers will be the hottest appetizer at the party! They are great because they can be made ahead, they travel well, and they taste awesome! And, they're fairly healthy compared to their deep fried counterparts!
- 1⁄2 cup fat free cream cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded cheddar cheese (use the small holes on your box grater)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 14 small fresh jalapeno peppers, rinsed (you can use whatever peppers you prefer, just make sure you can stand the heat)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (regular breadcrumbs or even crushed cornflakes will also do, but the panko get the crispiest)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, blend cream cheese, garlic, onions, cheddar cheese, and lime juice.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise (you may want to wear gloves if you're sensitive to hot peppers). Pull out and discard seeds and veins, leaving stem and outer bits of the pepper intact (to form a cup). Fill pepper halves equally with cheese mixture, spreading surface smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until slightly frothy. Put panko crumbs in another small bowl. Dip filled pepper halves, one at a time, in egg whites, then roll in crumbs. Set coated peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving a little space between them.
- Bake at 350 deg. F. till crumbs are slightly darker brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.