Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great traditional Lemon-Meringue Pie, without the access fat. Do enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (120 g)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (30 g)
- 1 egg white (27 g)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (6 g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 8 teaspoons sugar (32 g)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch (24 g)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (81 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar (4.5 g)
- 4 egg whites (108 g)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (37.5 g)
- The Crust:.
- Mix crumbs in a bowl with melted butter.
- Add egg white and lemon peel and mix.
- Flat into a 9.5-inch round pie pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a preheated oven at 410°F.
- The Filling:.
- Cook all ingredients in double boiler until thickened.
- Pour into pan with the pie crust - Wait a while till it thickens some more before topping with the meringue.
- Top with meringue which has been beaten stiff with sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 410F or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in oven.
- Serve when totally cooled down.
- Another option to The Crust:: 1 cup Flour. 4-5 Ice-Cold Water. 1/2 ts Cider Vinegar. 1/2 Tbs Powder Sugar. dash salt. 3 1/2 Tbs. Butter or Canola Oil. To Prepare: Mix 1/2 of the flour with water and vinegar. Mix rest of ingredients and add to first mixture. Work well with a fork till crust is formed and flat in pie pan. Bake in a preheated oven 450F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Follow the rest of the steps as described.
- The Filling is based on Jeff Hixson's recipe.
I was so happy when I found this recipe but it didn't work. My lemon filling never thickened up so my crust absorbed alot of the lemon filling. When I cut into it I got a soupy mess.
Thank-you so much for this recipe!! It was scrummy!
Thanks to The Enchantress for her review - Because of the issue she had I added all five egg yokes to the filling and it thickened up lovely!! I also used the microwave in 1min lots to cook the filling.
I did find the crust a little thin so next time I'd double the crust recipe and because we really LOVE lemons I'd add extra lemon juice.
FANTASTIC RECIPE. Has been added to my cookbook and will definatly make again!!!