Recipe by Smadar's Sane Way Cc
This is a great traditional Lemon-Meringue Pie, without the access fat. Do enjoy!
Top Review by The Enchantress
I was so happy when I found this recipe but it didn't work. My lemon filling never thickened up so my crust absorbed alot of the lemon filling. When I cut into it I got a soupy mess.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (120 g)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (30 g)
- 1 egg white (27 g)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (6 g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 8 teaspoons sugar (32 g)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch (24 g)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (81 g)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar (4.5 g)
- 4 egg whites (108 g)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (37.5 g)
Directions See How It's Made
- The Crust:.
- Mix crumbs in a bowl with melted butter.
- Add egg white and lemon peel and mix.
- Flat into a 9.5-inch round pie pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a preheated oven at 410°F.
- The Filling:.
- Cook all ingredients in double boiler until thickened.
- Pour into pan with the pie crust - Wait a while till it thickens some more before topping with the meringue.
- Top with meringue which has been beaten stiff with sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 410F or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in oven.
- Serve when totally cooled down.
- Another option to The Crust:: 1 cup Flour. 4-5 Ice-Cold Water. 1/2 ts Cider Vinegar. 1/2 Tbs Powder Sugar. dash salt. 3 1/2 Tbs. Butter or Canola Oil. To Prepare: Mix 1/2 of the flour with water and vinegar. Mix rest of ingredients and add to first mixture. Work well with a fork till crust is formed and flat in pie pan. Bake in a preheated oven 450F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Follow the rest of the steps as described.
- The Filling is based on Jeff Hixson's recipe.