Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband loves pie, so tonight my son and I created this recipe which received two thumbs up from Dad. Wheat bran sneaks in fiber and iron and cuts down the calories. He is still not aware that it contains reduced fat mayo. Sssh.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, bran and salt in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and honey and stir until crumbly.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with fork until dough forms.
- Roll out on bran-floured surface.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Use this in your favorite recipe.
I used fat-free mayo and white whole-wheat flour, lowering the total fat in the whole crust to two grams. I had to use 6 tbsp of water to incorporate all of the dry ingredients, and convincing the result to be a 9" pie crust was a stretch. Next time, I'll increase the amounts by 25%. The part of the crust below the filling was fine, but the part above was uncuttable, probably because of the lack of fat, so I will leave less sticking out next time.
This is a combo of my review and H2B's review: I liked the ease of the recipe but not the chewy/grainy texture. H2B enjoyed the crust stating that it was like eating a apple pie egg roll! So i'll make it again for him...or he can try it!
I really love this crust! It is "chewy" but I'd rather have chewy than fatty!!!