Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
Low carb and Gluten-Free. Makes one at a time and takes just one minute in the microwave.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 1 tablespoon soy protein isolate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Use a small, flat, round microwave safe bowl like a Grab-It.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well in the bowl.
- Smooth the batter out. If desired, sprinkle top of batter with sesame seeds.
- Cook in microwave on high for one minute, until set in center.
- Let sit in bowl for one minute, then turn out onto a rack.
- When cooled, slice in half using a bread knife.
- Use like a regular hamburger bun.
Uhm....WIN! Just made one with eggs & sausage as a breakfast sandwich. Amazing! I thought it would be mealy or grainy like whole wheat bread can sometimes be, you know, dense and grainy. Nope! It's fluffy, firm and completely cuts that craving for toast to dip in my eggs! I will try it with a hamburger next. You could do so much with it....low carb stuffing? I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks for posting this, it's a lifesaver when low carbing!
I used vanilla whey protein and canola oil instead of olive oil . The protein powder took away the intense egg flavor it also kept it from having that slimy feel that flax baked goods usually have. I made another batch and left out the baking powder and added maple extract and 2 drops of liquid splenda....so good ! This cooks up just the same without the baking powder. This is a keeper. Thanks so much for posting the recipe.