Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on a cream cheese package, I think ??? It's easy and very tasty. I love a good cheesecake, but I am rarely in the mood to go to all of the trouble to make a quote "real" unquote one. Prep time does not include chilling time
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened (light cream cheese)
- 1 pre-baked 9 inch pie shell or 1 graham cracker crust (purchased or homemade. I prefer the graham cracker crust)
- slivers orange zest (to garnish) (optional)
- *Note:If worried about salmonella, use egg substitute equivalent to the 2 yolks, and use dried egg whites, prepared according to package directions, equivalent to 2 egg whites.
- Drain pineapple well, reserving juice.
- Combine pineapple juice and orange juice with orange peel and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin over juice to soften, stir, and allow to set 5 minutes for gelatin to soften.
- Heat over low heat until dissolved.
- Beat in egg yolks with a whisk until mixture is thick and lemon colored, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and gradually beat in cream cheese until smooth and well blended.
- Stir in crushed pineapple.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold into pineapple mixture, and spoon into pastry shell.
- Refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Garnish with orange zest, if desired.