An Old Classic made into a low carbohydrate and reduced calorie version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup diabetisweet artificial sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, soured (make "sour" with vinegar –– see directions.)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener
For White Frosting
- 1Grease and flour (use gluten flour or oat flour) two 8" or 9" round cake pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3In large mixing bowl, sift together oat flour, gluten flour, almond flour, granulated Splenda, Diabetisweet, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.
- 4Set aside.
- 5In another large bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 6Pause and sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, then continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- 7In a small bowl, mix cold water with egg yolks and whisk well.
- 8Add oil, vanilla extract and liquid sweetener.
- 9Mix heavy cream with vinegar in a small cup to get a mock-sour effect.
- 10Then add red food color and stir well.
- 11Mix into egg yolk mixture and incorporate fully.
- 12Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and beat till smooth.
- 13Add 1/2 of the whipped egg whites to the batter mixture and beat again until well blended (but no more than a minute).
- 14Then carefully add batter to remainder of whipped egg whites and mix gently using a rubber/plastic spatula, being careful not to break down whites, until batter is fully incorporated.
- 15Pour into cake pans evenly and bake at 325°F for 20-30 minutes turning half-way through.
- 16Keep an eye on them and don't over bake.
- 17Baking time can vary a bit depending on oven, elevation, etc.
- 18Cake is done when lightly golden brown on top and puffed and cracked at edges.
- 19Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool on cake racks.
- 20When fully cool, assemble and frost.
- 21To make Frosting Whip all ingredients together until smooth.
- 22Frost cake as usual.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Love and Kisses Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.9
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 191.7 mg
- Sodium 400.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: