Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An Old Classic made into a low carbohydrate and reduced calorie version.
Make and share this Love and Kisses Red Velvet Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1⁄2 cup gluten flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup diabetisweet artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, soured (make "sour" with vinegar –– see directions.)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener
For White Frosting
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vanilla (to keep frosting pure white) or 1⁄2 teaspoon regular vanilla, for a cream color
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease and flour (use gluten flour or oat flour) two 8" or 9" round cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In large mixing bowl, sift together oat flour, gluten flour, almond flour, granulated Splenda, Diabetisweet, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Pause and sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, then continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl, mix cold water with egg yolks and whisk well.
- Add oil, vanilla extract and liquid sweetener.
- Mix heavy cream with vinegar in a small cup to get a mock-sour effect.
- Then add red food color and stir well.
- Mix into egg yolk mixture and incorporate fully.
- Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and beat till smooth.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped egg whites to the batter mixture and beat again until well blended (but no more than a minute).
- Then carefully add batter to remainder of whipped egg whites and mix gently using a rubber/plastic spatula, being careful not to break down whites, until batter is fully incorporated.
- Pour into cake pans evenly and bake at 325°F for 20-30 minutes turning half-way through.
- Keep an eye on them and don't over bake.
- Baking time can vary a bit depending on oven, elevation, etc.
- Cake is done when lightly golden brown on top and puffed and cracked at edges.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool on cake racks.
- When fully cool, assemble and frost.
- To make Frosting Whip all ingredients together until smooth.
- Frost cake as usual.