Recipe by lazyme
This is a hearty open-faced sandwich that is rich and creamy for those meals where you want comfort food and forget about calories. The original recipe was from the Brown Hotel in Louisville and created in the 1920's. It was originally designed to use leftover turkey
Top Review by ~Leslie~
Wow, wow, wow!! I cannot believe how tasty this dish is. I had never heard of it before, but made it for the ZWT 3. I had smoked deli turkey that I used, but I didn't have individual baking dishes, so I made them all in one pan and topped them with the bread instead of bracketing them, as that was the only way they would fit. Very rich, very filling, very delicious! I used small sliced portabella mushrooms and the flavour was just outstanding! Thanks for posting a delicious new dish that my whole family enjoyed! :)
- 1 small onion
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 59.16 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 59.14 ml cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 113.39 g mushroom
- 7.39 ml vegetable oil
- 8 slice toast, trimmed
- 226.79 g turkey slices, thinly sliced
- 4 slice bacon, crisp
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Chop onion.
- In a heavy saucepan heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook onion about 3 minutes, or until glassy.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Add cheese and remove pan from heat.
- Whisk sauce until cheeses are melted.
- Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden and any liquid given off by mushrooms is evaporated.
- Season mushrooms with salt.
- In each of 4 ovenproof individual serving dishes top 1 slice of toast with 2 slices turkey or chicken.
- Diagonally halve remaining slices of toast and "bracket" each sandwich with 2 halves.
- Ladle cheese sauce over sandwiches and broil 4 to 5-inches from heat until sauce begins to bubble and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Top each sandwich with bacon and mushrooms.
- Serve sandwiches immediately.