Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've been making this for supper since I first got married, over 18 years ago. It's still a favorite.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 large chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chicken soup powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- Brown the chicken pieces in the oil.
- Remove the pieces.
- Stir the flour into the drippings and cook until brown.
- Add the celery, pepper and onion and cook until tender.
- Add the soup powder, water, salt and paprika, bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, bake uncovered for 45 minutes, basting often and skimming fat.
Great recipe!!! I made it for tonight's dinner, and pleased everyone, including the dog [I put some of the sauce over her food,so that she could have a hot meal too]. In lieu of the celery [because I didn't have any] I doubled the green peppers and onions,and I served it over steamed white rice. It was wonderful!!! The sauce was actually so good that I had a second helping of just the sauce with the veggies over rice!! Thanks Mirjam for another amazing recipe!!!
This recipe is excellent. The sauce was perfect. I served it over rice. It's an easy,extremely delicious recipe. I will make this again. Thanks!!!
Good comfort-food type recipe. For me, there didn't seem to be enough sauce to completely cover the chicken.