1 hr 20 mins
pink cook's Note:
Recipe by: Jackie Milligan. A New Orleans style Mardi Gras Dessert. Bread pudding is found on the menu of almost every restaurant in New Orleans. It's a staple of the Louisiana diet, one bite of this wonderful desert and you'll know why.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups dried bread, diced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or use 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1BREAD PUDDING: preheat oven to 350ºF. In a bowl large enough to hold bread and liquid, beat eggs with a fork until lemon yellow in color. Whisk in milk, vanilla and almond extract.
- 2Soak bread in egg and milk mixture until the bread has absorbed most of the liquid, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Mix sugar, salt, spices (and chopped dates) in a separate bowl. When bread has soaked up the liquid, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- 4Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the bread mixture 2 -1/2 qt pan or 8x8" will work. Pour bread mixture into pan and dot top with pieces of butter.
- 5Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool or serve immediately.
- 6LEMON SAUCE: blend sugar, cornstarch and water in a sauce pan.
- 7Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Cook 2 - 3 min until mixture is thickened.
- 8Remove from heat and add lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- 9Cut in squares and serve warm lemon sauce over bread pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Bread Pudding With Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.7
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.3 mg
- Sodium 661.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice