Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe by: Jackie Milligan. A New Orleans style Mardi Gras Dessert. Bread pudding is found on the menu of almost every restaurant in New Orleans. It's a staple of the Louisiana diet, one bite of this wonderful desert and you'll know why.
- 4 cups dried bread, diced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or use 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted dates, chopped (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar (or use Splenda Blend)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 lemon, the juice (about 2-1/2 tbsps.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- BREAD PUDDING: preheat oven to 350ºF. In a bowl large enough to hold bread and liquid, beat eggs with a fork until lemon yellow in color. Whisk in milk, vanilla and almond extract.
- Soak bread in egg and milk mixture until the bread has absorbed most of the liquid, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix sugar, salt, spices (and chopped dates) in a separate bowl. When bread has soaked up the liquid, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the bread mixture 2 -1/2 qt pan or 8x8" will work. Pour bread mixture into pan and dot top with pieces of butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool or serve immediately.
- LEMON SAUCE: blend sugar, cornstarch and water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Cook 2 - 3 min until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and add lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- Cut in squares and serve warm lemon sauce over bread pudding.
Ohboy, oh boy, is this ever goooood! To chop my dates, I mixed them with the sugar and chopped them in my food processor. Oh, and I baked it in a loaf pan, as I wanted better portion control. This is a bread pudding that I will have often. And the lemon sauce is divine, if a little sweet! Thnx for sharing your recipe, pinky. This was made as my final recipe adoptions from you. Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0