Savory Bread Pudding Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups diced stale bread
- 1 lb spinach, well rinsed and wilted
- 1 cup corn kernel, preferable scraped from the cob
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Before assembling steam the spinach using the water left on the leaves from the rinsing.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Lightly oil bottom and sides of high sided 9 by 13 inch pan or a souffle dish.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add the milk, hot sauce, and salt mixing together. Depending on size of dish pour 1/3 to 1/2 of mix into pan then add 1/3 to 1/2 bread cubes and push down into milk. then add 1/3 to 1/2 of the spinach, then corn, scallions, bell pepper and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat save the cheese and some of the milk mix until you are done and then pour the milk over top making sure it soaks the bread.
- Bake an hour. Top with cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove and serve while hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a delicious and versatile recipe. I used leftover garlic bread that was quite dried out so I increased the liquid to 2 c (1 1/2 c milk & 1/2 c fat free half & half). I also added 4 or 5 slices of chopped prosciutto in the center. I assembled this the day before, covered it with foil, refrigerated it and the next day brought it to room temperature and removed the foil and baked it. This is a good recipe to use up leftover bread, cheese or perhaps ham, bacon, etc.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I WILL NOT say they are Vegetarian or Vegan any longer due to the database changes. I DO NOT WISH YOU TO RECOMMEND THEM. Consider them as faulty. It's your own fault if you trust them. Don't bother to review. Don't ask me a question. I won't answer. I'm not here anymore. I will NOT warrent any recipe on this site put up by me as correct due to Scripps problems. IF they claim to have fixed it, I still do not warrent any recipe as correct except the ones that I put up personally on the tripod site so use any recipe posted under my name at your own risk. Basic? Lots of luck. Now the ones at chef.philocrates.tripod.com [see De Gustibus Veg*n in link on top], yeah, I will take responsiblity for all of them and the ingredients. I put them up and any errors are all mine. No the door didn't hit me on the ### but the skid marks in the parking lot are mine.