Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Better Homes and Gardens book "Old-Fashioned Home Baking." Prep time is a guess. Cooling time not included, but these cakes can take hours to cool. I always make cakes like this in the morning to have at night after dinner.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- lime slice (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and 1/3 cup sugar; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg YOLKS with an electric mixer on high speed for about 6 minutes until thick and lemon-colored or until yolks flow from the beaters in a thick stream when the beaters are lifted. Add lime juice and water. Beat on low speed about 30 second or until combined. Gradually add the 2/3 c sugar, beating on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until sugar is ALMOST dissolved.
- Gradually add 1/4 of flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture, beating on low to medium speed just until moistened. Repeat, beating in the remaining flour mixture by fourths. Stir in shredded lime peel.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. No salmonella for you.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg WHITES and cream of tartar on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (when the tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (when tips stand straight up).
- Fold about 1 cup of the egg WHITE mixture into the egg YOLK mixture.
- Then fold all of the egg YOLK mixture into the remaining egg WHITE mixture.
- Gently pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 1 hour or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake pan onto a glass or onto a baking sheet; completely cool. Using a narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake from pan. Then remove cake from pan.
- If desired, for a whipped cream topping, in a medium mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Pipe on top of cake.
- If desired, garnish cake with lime slices.