Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ciorba is a sour soup from Romania enjoyed by the people especially in winter. It can be done by sauteeing the veggies or without and can add vermicelli noodles in the end. Serve with sour cream.
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green beans
- vegetable stock or chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 cups water
- Cut all the vegetables in cubes.
- Sautee the onion, add the rest of veggies.
- Add the water and the stock.When it's almost done add the tomato paste, chopped parsley. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice according to your taste. Add little by little so it's not too sour.
I've made this recipe twice already - once with the green pepper and once without. I think it tastes great either way and wonderful too if you didn't want to include the lemon juice. I'll definitely be making this again and again! Thanks for sharing.
This is good. I omitted the green pepper as another reviewer out of preference. I used my own homemade chicken stock and canned crushed tomatoes (I know fresh would be better but I didn't have any on hand.) I used sea salt and flat leaf parsley for the parsley. Made for January Event - Soup is On in the Diabetic Forum.