Recipe by littlemafia
I'm opening a series of Romanian soups,especially sour soups called Chiorba or Borsh.Very popular here, some people eat them everyday. This one is called Chiorba de perisoare. I mentioned that it's optional the sour cream & egg yolks step. It makes the soup richer, even if you skip it the taste is still good.
Top Review by FloridaNative
This was a very good soup ~ we loved the little meatballs. I did not have celery root or lovage leaves, so I used about 1 cup diced celery and I skipped the eggs and sour cream. Tasty and filling soup, the lemon juice was a nice addition. I also added a bit of salt and pepper for our personal tastes, and used chicken broth instead of water. Thanks littlemafia, made for SOUP'S ON DIABETIC FORUM TAG, January 2010!
- 3 liters water
- 3 carrots
- 2 parsley roots
- 1⁄4 celery root
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 ml sour cream (optional)
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- fresh parsley
- celery leaves
- lovage, leaves
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 1⁄2 kg ground meat
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the meatballs, mix together all the ingredients. Then take a little of this mixture and make little balls (the size that you like - my mom makes them quite big while I prefer them small).
- Fry the chopped onion in oil .
- Add the chopped or grated onion,carrot,parsley and celery root.
- Add the water , salt and leave to boil for 10 - 15 minutes, then add the meatballs to the soup, one by one.
- Simmer until the meatballs rise - about 30-45 minutes .
- Add the parsley .
- Turn off the heat and cover for 15 minutes.
- This step is optional :In a separate bowl, mix 2 egg yolks with the sour cream. Add the egg/sour cream mixture into the soup.
- To season the soup add fresh lemon juice - adjusting to taste.
- Add the chopped parsley,the celery and the lovage leaves.
- Serve with sour cream.