Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm opening a series of Romanian soups,especially sour soups called Chiorba or Borsh.Very popular here, some people eat them everyday. This one is called Chiorba de perisoare. I mentioned that it's optional the sour cream & egg yolks step. It makes the soup richer, even if you skip it the taste is still good.
- 3 liters water
- 3 carrots
- 2 parsley roots
- 1⁄4 celery root
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 200 ml sour cream (optional)
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- fresh parsley
- celery leaves
- lovage, leaves
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 1⁄2 kg ground meat
- 1 egg
- To make the meatballs, mix together all the ingredients. Then take a little of this mixture and make little balls (the size that you like - my mom makes them quite big while I prefer them small).
- Fry the chopped onion in oil .
- Add the chopped or grated onion,carrot,parsley and celery root.
- Add the water , salt and leave to boil for 10 - 15 minutes, then add the meatballs to the soup, one by one.
- Simmer until the meatballs rise - about 30-45 minutes .
- Add the parsley .
- Turn off the heat and cover for 15 minutes.
- This step is optional :In a separate bowl, mix 2 egg yolks with the sour cream. Add the egg/sour cream mixture into the soup.
- To season the soup add fresh lemon juice - adjusting to taste.
- Add the chopped parsley,the celery and the lovage leaves.
- Serve with sour cream.
This was a very good soup ~ we loved the little meatballs. I did not have celery root or lovage leaves, so I used about 1 cup diced celery and I skipped the eggs and sour cream. Tasty and filling soup, the lemon juice was a nice addition. I also added a bit of salt and pepper for our personal tastes, and used chicken broth instead of water. Thanks littlemafia, made for SOUP'S ON DIABETIC FORUM TAG, January 2010!
I would love to make this soup using the lovage leaves and parsley and celery root. I did as you said and substituted celery for everything. The soup was good but not something I would make again without the correct ingredients. It was bland for our tatse but Dad did say he would eat the leftovers so that means it was not all that bad. I honestly think with the correct ingredients and some spices this would be an excellent soup. Mexican soup is too spicy for us, but with a little garlic and maybe something else, just not sure what, this would be wonderful.