Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From BH&G Heritage Cookbook.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 egg whites
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- In large mixing bowl cream together 1 1/4 cups of the sugar and the butter till very light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each; continue beating till very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
- Fold into creamed mixture.
- Pour into 3 lightly greased and floured 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 till done, about 20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool on rack.
- Whip cream and vanilla just to soft peaks.
- Place a cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with currant jelly and then with 1 cup of the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons pecans.
- Spread second layer with 1/3 cup of the strawberry preserves, then with 1 cup of the whipped cream; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons pecans.
- Gently place atop first layer.
- Carefully top with third layer.
- Frost top and sides with remaining whipped cream; coat sides with remaining pecans.
- Using tip of a small spoon, dot top with remaining strawberry preserves.