Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Also from Southern Living--January, 1986. This is one of my favorite desserts, especially when the weather is warmer. You can even have it for breakfast! (Cook time is chill time.)
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 3⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled, halved, and sliced
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water in a small sauce pan for 5 minutes. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until gelatin dissolves. Set aside.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups cold water, dry milk powder, cottage cheese, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract in container of food processor or blender. Process until smooth; add gelatin mixture, and process 10 to 15 seconds. Pour mixture into a bowl; chill until consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Set aside several pieces of each fruit for garnish. Layer remaining fruit and gelatin mixture into six 8-ounce dessert dishes. Top with reserved fruit. Chill until firm.