Prep 1 hr
Cook 17 mins
Cooking Light, Lidia Bastianich
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 36 littleneck clams, scrubbed (about 2 1/2 lb.)
- 6 quarts water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb uncooked linguine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring ¾ cup water to a boil in a stockpot; add clams, cover, and cook 4 minutes or until shells open.
- Remove clams form pan, and reserve cooking liquid.
- Discard any unopened shells; cool clams; remove meat from shells; chop; discard shells.
- Bring 6 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a stockpot.
- Add in broccoli; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green; remove broccoli with a slotted spoon; place broccoli in a colander, and rinse with cold water; drain broccoli and coarsely chop.
- Return water to a boil in stock pot; stir in pasta; partially cover, and return to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Cook 6 minutes or until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally; drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a big nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in garlic; cook 1 minute or until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, stirring constantly.
- Add in broccoli and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli sizzles.
- Stir in clams and reserved 1 cup cooking liquid; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add pasta to pan; stirring well to coat; bring mixture to a boil; stir in remaining ½ teaspoon salt and chopped parsley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Place about 1 cup pasta mixture in each of 6 bowls; drizzle each serving with ½ teaspoon oil; serve immediately.