Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Fine Cooking. The addition of bread crumbs, gives this dish a bit of crunchiness!
- kosher salt
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 12 ounces jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb, preferably whole wheat
- 12 ounces dried linguine or 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, more for serving
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the garlic. Sprinkle it with 1/2 teaspoons salt and using the flat side of a chef's knife mash it to a paste.
- In a large bowl, stir the garlic paste, roasted peppers, tomatoes, parsley, 3 Tbs. of the oil, the capers, and the pepper flakes.
- Heat the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs. oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring frequently, until the smaller crumbs are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook the linguine in the boiling water according to package directions until al dente. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta in a colander. Add the hot pasta to the red pepper mixture, toss to combine, and add just enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten (you won't need it all). Add the cheese, toss well, and season to taste with salt. Serve topped with the breadcrumbs and additional cheese.