Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is great when trying to figure out what to have when company is coming... Served with an Italian salad and Fettuccini Alfredo, you have a meal anyone would enjoy!
- 8 veal cutlets, pounded thin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, smashed, depending on how much garlic you like
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced, I use lg. button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sweet marsala wine
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 fresh rosemary leaf
- Sprinkle the veal with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 T. of butter, and 2 T. of oil in a lg. heavy skillet, over med-high heat.
- Add 4 veal cutlets, and cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Do not overcook, or they will get tough!
- Transfer the veal to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of butter and oil, if necessary.
- Repeat with the remaining 4 cutlets.
- Set the cutlets aside.
- Add 1 T. of oil to the skillet.
- Add the shallot and garlic.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 30 secs.
- Add 1 T. of the olive oil, if necessary.
- Add the mushrooms, and sauté until tender and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Add the Marsala.
- Simmer until the Marsala reduces by 1/2, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, and the rosemary leaves.
- Simmer until reduced by 1/2, about 4 minutes.
- Return the veal to the skillet.
- Pour in all of the pan juices.
- Cook just until heated through, turning to coat, about 1 minute.
- Stir the remaining 1 T. of butter into the sauce.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put on a serving dish, and spoon sauce over the veal.
- To slightly thicken the Marsala Sauce: 2 T. cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water, optional.
- If desired, slightly thicken the sauce with the corn starch and water mixture.