Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Love Limoncello and from Lidia's Italy cooking show comes a recipe I am determined to make. Found the recipe on her site. Times are a guess since I haven't yet attempted it. No less than 2 hour refrigeration, overnight is best.
- 3⁄4 cup pasteurized egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasteurized egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 35 ladyfingers
- 2 lbs mascarpone cheese
- 4 cups limoncello
- 2 cups simple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip whites and ½ cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Mix yolks with remaining sugar, add mascarpone cheese, lemon oil and lemon zest. Mix well making sure that there are no lumps. Fold in whites.
- Combine the four cups of Limoncello liquor with the 2 cups of simple syrup (this will be used to moisten the lady fingers).
- After dipping the lady fingers in the mixture form one layer of lady fingers at bottom spread a layer of the lemon mascarpone on top repeat once. Reserve leftover Limoncello mixture.
- You should let the tira mi su set for at least 2 hours before serving, overnight is ideal.
- CANDIED LEMON CHIPS:.
- Slice lemon into very thin slices dip into 3 cups simple syrup lay flat on silk pad lined sheet tray and bake at 200°F until crisp, about 2 hours (used for garnish).
- CANDIED KUMQUATS:.
- Cut kumquats in half and remove pits.
- Place in pot with 3 cups simple syrup (enough to cover kumquats) and let simmer slowly, cook the kumquats until they become translucent (used for garnish).
- Take left over Limoncello and simple syrup mixture and add 1 teaspoons of cornstarch for a sauce to garnish the plate.