Recipe by Queen Dana
Published in Bon Appetit April 2009.
Top Review by Darkhunter
I just had to try these after seeing the beautiful picture Slatts posted! One word.......absofreakin'lutelywonderful! I did try a little different way to go with the lime zest. I added it to the chocolate before drizzling it over the shortbread. And then used more sprinkled over the cookie. These will be made again, Queen Dana, and thnx for posting it. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons lime peel, finely grated, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate (high quality)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Butter 13x9x2 inch metal baking pan. Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter, 2 tablespoons lime peel, and vanilla; process just until blended and dough forms clumps. Press evenly into prepared baking pan. Pierce dough all over with fork. Using sharp knife, cut dough into 12 inch squares, cutting through dough completely, then cut each square in half on diagonal, forming 24 triangles total.
- Bake shortbread until golden brown, crisp around edges, and firm to touch, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Using sharp knife, immediately recut shortbread, gently separating triangles. Cool shortbread in pan on rack.
- Place white chocolate in small metal bowl. Set bowl over small saucepan of gently simmering water and stir just until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Using fork, drizzle melted chocolate in zigzag pattern over shortbread. Sprinkle evenly with almonds and remaining 1 tablespoon lime peel. Let stand until chocolate sets, about 1 hour.