Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I used to always make these with shortening and milk chocolate but I found a lighter version using Canola Oil(rich in monounsaturated fats)instead of shortening(mostly saturated fat) and when I made these for New Years Eve not only are they lower in fat but I think the dark chocolate(also lower in fat) really better enhances the flavor of the strawberries. I came across this while searching for appetizer's for guests watching their weight. My guest's have yet to try them but I have sampled one and they are fabulous!Great to serve during the Holidays, at Showers, or Wedding.
- Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and oil, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Holding them by the toothpicks, dip the strawberries halfway into the chocolate mixture.
- Do not completely cover Strawberries.
- Place on a cookie sheet and let strawberries chill and set in refrigerator until ready to serve.
I always used butter for my chocolate covered strawberries, so this was a nice change and so quick to put together! I used mint chocolate chips and they worked wonderfully, and the mintiness is just as refreshing as the strawberry! The chocolate didn't come out glossy for me, but I think that just depends on the chocolate. (I think my chips were a little older anyway) Still very pretty and very tasty! Thanks!
And if you watch what chocolate you buy this recipe is dairy-free and vegan friendly!