Top Review by loof
This is one terrific casserole!! I replaced the onion with some extra celery, otherwise made just as specified. So rich and creamy you can't even tell that this is low-fat! Great stuff - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons water
- 2⁄3 onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 1⁄3 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2⁄3 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 0.667 (10 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 1⁄3 ounces skim milk (use 1/3 soup can)
- 0.667 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained (or use fresh sliced sauteed)
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup fat free sour cream
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 2⁄3 cups cold cooked rice (use long-grain white or brown)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Pam spray a 2-quart casserole dish (or one large enough to hold the mixture).
- In a skillet heat water over medium heat; add in onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook stirring over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes, adding water as needed) or until well softened adding in garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the mixture into the bowl.
- Add in soup, milk, drained canned mushrooms mayonnaise, sour cream, black pepper, garlic powder and cooked cold rice; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined adjusted black pepper and adding in a small amount of salt to taste (I use seasoned salt).
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over the rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes.