Recipe by COOKNTXS
Hot days, necessitate quick and easy meals this recipe is a staple in our house. This lighter version of the traditional is rich in flavors, with out the heavy cream sauce.
Top Review by Mrs. Lainez
i made this for a quick and easy dinner last night. i used roasted garlic-flavoured chicken sausage, 3/4 lb baby bella mushrooms, and whole-wheat fettuccine. my sausage was fully cooked, so i just sliced it. DH and i enjoyed this dish. i think it could've used a little more shallot, but that's probably because mine were fairly small. also, i think the broth should be thickened into some kind of sauce; the abundance of liquid in the bottom of the pot was a little weird. nonetheless, it made for a nice dinner. thanks for posting! made for the bargain basement tag game.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 minced shallots
- 1 lb chicken sausage
- 1⁄2 lb turkey bacon
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup peas (frozen)
- 6 ounces fettuccine
- 6 ounces spinach fettuccine
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, bring salted water to a rapid boil. Cook both pastas until al den te’ drain and return to pot to keep warm. (Do not return pot to heat)
- Remove chicken sausage from casings, discard casings, and slice bacon into strips vertically. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, ADD 1 tbs. olive oil, sausage and bacon brown, drain on paper towel, then ADD reserved 1tbs. olive oil, shallots and mushrooms, sauté 1-2 minutes, ADD drained bacon and sausage cook 1 more minute, stirring. ADD the chicken broth and peas simmer 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour sausage, chicken broth mixture over pasta and toss top with fresh grated parmesan cheese and cracked pepper.