Recipe by Caroline Cooks
A light but still flavorful and creamy veggie-laden main dish. Adapted from Cooking Light.
Top Review by echo echo
This was delicious Caroline. I made it with low-sodium bacon. I also was using already cooked shrimp, so instead of adding it in Step 5, I added the shrimp to the white sauce at the end of step 8, heating it through just before removing and adding the parmesan. A very easy supper paired with a salad.
- 1 lb uncooked fettuccine
- 1 -2 slice bacon
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned & cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (optional)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta to al dente, omitting any salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in large heavy skillet over MED-HI heat for 6 minutes until crisp.
- Remove to paper towel and reserve 1 tablespoons of drippings.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add garlic and shrimp to skillet, sauté for 2 minutes. Add red pepper, peas *and carrots, if using*.
- Cook about 2 minutes until shrimp are done. Transfer shrimp mixture to a large bowl; keep warm.
- Lower temp to MEDIUM.
- Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together. Add to skillet, whisking constantly, and cook for 3 minutes or until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese, stirring until blended.
- Add milk mixture to shrimp mixture, toss to combine.
- Add fettuccine and half of the fresh parsley.
- To serve: Sprinkle with bacon and remaining parsley.