Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Light and delicious. Use any cheese or combo. I used Fiesta Blend: Monterey Jack, Cheddar Queso, and Asadero. From William Sonoma THE BREAD MACHINE cookbook with some changes by me.
- 1 cup water or 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup cheese (grated or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 -3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons cheese (grated or shredded)
- Place ingredients in bread machine as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Settings: Dough cycle only.When dough cycle is completed; remove to lightly floured surface and knead about 5 minutes.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Spray 2 pie pans or 8" baking dishes with oil.
- Break out about "a golf ball-sized" piece of dough.
- Roll into round and place in pans, turning to lightly coat with oil.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover with clean tea towels and place in draft-free place.
- (I use a closed oven after placing a 8" square metal pan filled with hot water on the bottom rack and the rolls on the rack above.
- Let rise until doubled; remove all from oven.
- Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
- Preheat to 400 degrees F.; bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove pans to wire rack to cool.
These are amazing! I adjusted the recipe for 3 pans versus the two it originally called for, then made 12 large rolls in a 13 x 9 pan. They were soooo big, moist, and fluffy and wonderful. I used a colby jack combo and the whole family loved them. Thanks for a winner!
I made this recipe with my KA stand mixer instead of a bread machine, using buttermilk in place of milk, and increased all ingredients including the yeast to 1 tablespoon, I used grated cheddar cheese, and they turned out really good, this is a really great recipe, thanks Caroline!...Kitten:)
I thought that this would be better than it actually was. I am a pretty good baker, but I couldn't get this to look good or brown in the oven. The taste wasn't bad but this recipe just isn't among those I would make again, and my husband agrees. Sorry!