Prep 240 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is another of Libby's recipes. The pickles come out crunchy and good. This is a really old recipe and takes a lot of time, but it's worth it. It is made in the old crocks for 10 days.
- 5 quarts chunked cucumbers
- 2 cups salt
- 2 tablespoons alum
- 1 gallon water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 cloves
- 3 garlic cloves
- Soak cucumbers in salt brine (2 cups salt to 5 quarts cucumbers with enough water to cover).
- Make sure you cover with a plate with a weight on top so all cucumbers are under brine.
- Soak these for 3 days in crock made for pickles.
- On 4th day, drain and add 2 tablespoon alum to 1 gallon water. Soak in this mixture for 3 days with plate and weight again.
- On 7th day, drain and soak in clean water with plate and weight again.
- On 10th day, drain and pack tightly in quart jars and pour the following syrup over cucumbers: boil 6 cups sugar to 1 pint vinegar and spices.
- Put on lids and process in hot water bath 45 minutes.