Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A low carb treat
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons Splenda granular
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- Cook the ground beef and onions until they're done.
- Mix together soy, sweetener, garlic, red pepper, ginger then pour over the ground beef.
- Add cabbage.
- Cook until cabbage is nice and soft or if you omit the cabbage, cook until soy sauce has pretty much evaporated.
- Let it cool a bit.
- Then to serve take a lettuce leaf and put some of the meat mixture in the middle and wrap it up.
This has become a weekly favorite so I figured it should get the 5 stars it deserves! Of course, it can be modified according to what you have on hand. Sometimes I use fresh bean sprouts instead of cabbage or no cabbage at all. I cut the crushed red pepper to 1 tsp. for 1 1/2 lb ground beef and use 1/2 tsp dry ground ginger. We prefer romaine lettuce 'boats'. Thank you for a marvelous recipe!
A simple, healthy, scrumptious lunch that looked somewhat like an exotic flower when the butter lettuce is rolled at a slight slant. I did cut the crushed red pepper flakes just a bit as DH does not like too much heat. Thanks for the post.
Nice flavor!!! I only had romaine lettuce and that does not wrap well at all. Definitely use iceberg or a nice butter lettuce. Next time I make it, I will chop the cabbage much finer. I was out of fresh ginger and used ginger powder. The flavor was imparted nicely.