This is a Middle Eastern recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. This is good over brown rice and served with Hoda's Cucumber-Yogurt With Dill.
- Cut onion in half lengthwise and then cut the halves into fine half rings.
- Heat oil over medium flame.
- When hot, put in onion and garlic. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Put in lentils and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer about 25 minutes or until lentils are just tender.
- Defrost spinach and add spinach, salt, and cumin to the lentils.
- Simmer 10 minutes. Add pepper. Serve.
I put chicken broth instead of water, and fresh chopped spinach. SO GOOD! Thanks, it was what I was looking for tonight
I liked it more before adding the spinach and that's kind of funny coz I love spinach. I think it was the garlic, which was overpowered after adding the greens. Two tablespoons of oil were enough for me. Great dish, full of proteins, iron,etc.Next time I'll make it without the spinach.
My husband and I had this one evening for dinner. I had a lot of fresh spinach in the fridge so I used that instead of frozen. Turned out great! Thanks for posting!