Recipe by Ppaperdoll
An Indian recipe from Madhur Jaffrey. Can be made in advance, but when reheating, you'll need to add a little water.
Top Review by Phantom2010
Lentils with fried onions, salt and pepper and a little olive oil at the end if fantastic. I find the other spices are not needed. I always soak my lentils in water for a day before cooking them, it makes them extra tender and delicious. Also gently simmer the lentil rather than boiling, so they don't break apart.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 200 g lentils (green or brown)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium sized pan. Add cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cumin seeds and stir until bay leaves darken a little.
- Add onion, fry 7-8 minutes until browned.
- Add lentils, 750ml water, turmeric, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, turn heat to low and cook 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every so often until lentils are tender. Add water if mixture seems too dry.