Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this as a side with grilled chicken, a main dish for my vegetarian.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, peeled and minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, picked over,washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large 2 quart pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until JUST turning golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook down to thick, around 8 minutes.
- Add lentils and 2 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and lemon juice.
- Mix well.
The beauty of this recipe is in its simplicity, accompanied by the fact that it tastes absolutely fantastic!!! The garlic compliments the tang of the tomatoes perfectly. I did have to add some more water because the lentils just sucked them up, but besides that all the amounts given in the recipe are perfect! I had this in one bowl over "tortilla" chips made from chappatis for a scrumptious and satisfying dinner. Diana, thank you so much for this!
This was really delicious. The lemon juice is the winning ingredient in this recipe. I enjoyed this for lunch this afternoon with low-fat yogurt and bread, thanks for sharing! BTW, I followed Anu's suggestion and added more water as the lentils really soaked up the water pretty quick!
This was a quick and easy recipe that has a BIG flavor. I did not have any fresh tomatoes so I added a 16oz can of diced tomatoes along with the juices and it added even more flavor. I also added a little bit of basil and cumin and of course, crushed pepper but thats because I like it hot!