2 hrs 20 mins
When I attended Univ. of the Americas in Mexico City during the '60's my Mexican "abuelita" who was from Merida used to make this. The flavors are stunning, the memories sweet. Hope you enjoy this! T.J. This recipe comes from The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g pork, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 354.88 ml lentils
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 1 banana, cut into pieces
- 473.18 ml fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 453.59 g tomato, peeled seeded and diced
- salt and pepper
- 1Place the pork in a large lidded sauce pan with water almost to cover and bring to a boil.
- 2Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Drain and reserve the stock.
- 4Rinse out the saucepan and return the stock.
- 5Add the lentils and raisins and enough water to cover.
- 6Simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- 7Drain and set aside.
- 8In a frying pan heat the oil and saute the pork, onion and garlic until lightly browned.
- 9Lift out and add to the lentils.
- 10In the same oil saute the apple, banana, and pineapple for a few minutes.
- 11Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 12Add to the lentils and pork and gently combine.
- 13Return to the frying pan and simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes.
- 14The finished dish should be rather dry and the lentils creamy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentils and Pork Coastal Style (Lentejas Costenas Con Puerco)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.2
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 29.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 16.7 g