Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
This recipe started out as an ooops... and ended as a new and wonderful dish! Even my husband, a bona fide meat eater loved it! It is vegetarian, but adapted easily to vegan. Please don't let the long list of ingredients scare you... it's an easy recipe! Cooking times are an estimate.. I don't usually pay attention to the time.
- 295.73 ml dry lentils
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 59.16 ml chopped peanuts
- 709.77 ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 44.37 ml flour
- 14.79 ml dry oregano
- 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 354.88 ml cooked chopped rapini or 354.88 ml spinach
- 12 corn tortillas
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 0.25 ml salt
- Place lentils, bell pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, peanuts, and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook covered until lentils are soft, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain any excess water and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add egg, mustard, chili powder, flour, oregano and parsley.
- Mix well.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a nonstick pan.
- Saute half of the mixture over medium heat until browned.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Repeat with 1 Tbs olive oil and other half of mixture.
- Meanwhile, mix sour cream, lime juice, garlic, avocado, and salt in a bowl.
- Spread some avocado sour cream on a tortilla.
- spoon in some lentil mixture.
- Top with the rapini or spinach.
This is a terrific recipe. I made these for dinner last night for a friend and she and my husband both loved them. Like another reviewer, I used the spinach uncooked and added jack cheese and fresh tomatoes. This is a great recipe for vegetarians or meat eaters--they are so filling and delicious you don't miss the meat at all. The avocado sour cream is delicious and really takes these tacos over the top. I would highly recommend this recipe. Thanks for posting GertieGirl!
I made these because I had bought whole wheat tortillas on sale and I wanted something new to do with them. The tacos were very good and very easy to make. The high light of the dish was the avocado sour cream which I made with fat free sour cream and to which I added some chopped fresh cilantro. I topped the lentils with raw spinach (decided against cooking it), diced tomatoes, about a tsp of salsa, a little bit of monterey jack cheese, and a tbsp of the sour cream. I love that I have so much left over!
Great tacos! I followed the recipe pretty closely...I refried the lentils all at once (not in 2 batches) and didn't drain them on towels. Also, I just made a 1/2 recipe of the avocado sour cream. I was pleasantly surprised by how flavorful and satisfying this recipe was (sure, I like lentils, but they're not usually too exciting). This made more than 6 servings for me, too, which I'm very happy about. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...it's a keeper!