Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A rich lentil soup recipe which I've adapted from an online Jamie Oliver recipe, and posted here in response to a Forum request for a lentil soup recipe without tomatoes. The preparation and cooking times below do not include the one hour required for soaking the lentils.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Very good and as with some soups a lot better 2 days later. I made ours gluten free with a white rice flour and tapioca starch mix rather than plain flour. I used sea salt and baby spinach. I would like to make this again for DH to try.
- 375 g green lentils, soaked for 1 hour
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 kg spinach
- 2 onions, cut in half then sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain the lentils, place them in a pan with water to cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until they are very tender, adding salt and pepper, to taste, towards the end of the cooking time.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, remove the stems, chop the leaves coarsely, and add them to the lentils.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil until soft, add the flour and stir well.
- Add a cup of water and stir until this sauce thickens; then pour the sauce into the soup.
- Add the lemon juice and more water, if necessary, and simmer until the soup is thick.
- Serve very hot.