A rich lentil soup recipe which I've adapted from an online Jamie Oliver recipe, and posted here in response to a Forum request for a lentil soup recipe without tomatoes. The preparation and cooking times below do not include the one hour required for soaking the lentils.
- Wash and drain the lentils, place them in a pan with water to cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until they are very tender, adding salt and pepper, to taste, towards the end of the cooking time.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, remove the stems, chop the leaves coarsely, and add them to the lentils.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil until soft, add the flour and stir well.
- Add a cup of water and stir until this sauce thickens; then pour the sauce into the soup.
- Add the lemon juice and more water, if necessary, and simmer until the soup is thick.
- Serve very hot.