Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Food & Wine. OAMC Just let soup cool before pouring into labeled and dated freezer bags or tupperware containers. Thaw in microwave or at room temperature.
- 6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 cups water
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, cook the bacon strips until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat or, if there's less than 2 tablespoons, add enough olive oil to make up the amount.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, salt, pepper, rosemary, bay leaf, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir the parsley into the soup. Serve the soup topped with the bacon.
- Variation: Substitute broccoli florets for the cauliflower. Add them after the lentils have cooked for about twenty-five minutes and then simmer until the broccoli is tender, five to ten minutes longer.