Recipe by Alison J.
As a child who hated veggies, my mother had to get creative. Here's one of my favourite soups, containing all of my least favourite veggies. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable cubes or stock for the ham stock.
- 8 cups water (approx.)
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 onion
- 3 -4 carrots
- 1 small turnip
- 12 Brussels sprouts
- salt & pepper
- 1 ham bone (or 6-8 stock cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a stock by either simmering the ham bone in a covered pot for 30-40 min., or adding stock cubes to water and bringing to a simmer.
- Cook lentils in stock for 30 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into similar sized pieces (approx. 1" cubes). Add to stock and cook until tender.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. (This step is actually optional - this was a broth soup with vegetable chunks in it original incarnation. My mother started blending it for me as a baby food, and when my dad told her he liked it better that way, she kept doing it. Good thing, because I would never have eaten it if I could see all the veggies!).