Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 (21 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- Brown sausage; drain off fat.
- In a soup pot add sausage and next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Add lentils cover and simmer until lentils are tender.
This was absolutely delicious! I won't have to search for another Lentil Soup recipe. This is it! My husband loved it and he is hard to please!
I've been meaning to make this recipe for a few weeks now and I finally made it tonight! We loved, loved, loved this recipe! I used leftover grilled sausage and it really added to the flavor. I did find it a little bit salty. Next time I'll reduce the salt. I forgot to add the diced tomatoes and I omitted the green peppers. My children were grateful that both items were omitted. They couldn't get enough and my very picky 4 year old is already planning to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Yummy! I love this soup. This is what I'm eating for lunch this week. I used 3 small carrots. I used dry red lentils. I used mild italian sausages. I boiled them to reduce the fat. Then I cooked them in the skillet (without any grease). I sliced them. I love lentil soups and this one is great. Thanks Charlotte. Made for Gimme 5 tag game