Recipe by dicentra
This comes from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. They say to serve this with a petite sirah. I’m posting it for ZWT3.
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup pecans
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, washed
- 1⁄4 lb aged cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot, combine the lentils, onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain; discard the onion, carrot, garlic and bay leaf.
- In a small frying pan, toast the pecans over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Chop them.
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Add the oil slowly, whisking.
- Shred half of the spinach and put in a large glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Add the hot lentils, half of the dressing, the remaining vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss gently until the spinach wilts.
- Toss the remaining spinach with the remaining dressing and put on plates. Top with the lentil mixture and toasted pecans.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese over the top.