Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
It's all about the flavor. This is yummy! From The Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick Goudreau. Contributed by Barbara Lyons. Wheat and soy free. :)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or minced)
- 2 carrots, grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (or 1 can-15 oz. diced tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I sometimes sub ketchup)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3 tablespoons finely diced black olives
- fresh parsley, finely minced (or use basil!)
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, oregano and olives. Bring mixture to a boil over medium low heat, partially cover with the lid and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until soft and thick(Check halfway through cooking time to make sure water hasn't evaporated, add a little more water if necessary).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley or basil(or both!).
- Serve over pasta if desired. Enjoy!