Recipe by Sandy in California
We frequently make this for Thanksgiving or Christmas for the vegetarians in the family. It's very nutritious and yummy and it goes great with the rest of the traditional holiday meal. You can make it ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven to heat up before the meal. Always serve it with the cashew gravy recipe I'm about to post separately. I'm not sure of where this recipe originated, but I got it from my sister years ago. I apologize for the some of the amount guestimates on the broth and spices as it's been a while since I've made it and we never had a real recipe, it's just scribbled on a piece of paper.
Top Review by fireborn999
This was really tasty. I cooked this for vegan thanksgiving, and it was a hit, even with the omnies. I caught some flack for it not being a "loaf" (read: the slices didn't hold together) but I stuck the leftovers in the refrigerator and got some very cohesive slices from it the next day. I'd say if you want a really good slice, let it chill and then reheat, although it is still very tasty slices or no. highly recommended.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth (more or less)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 bunch broccoli, chopped small and steamed
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, roasted
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lentils, brown and wild rice and veggie broth in a covered pan. Get it boiling on a higher heat and then turn down to low and cook until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, but the result is still somewhat wet and mushy, not dry. This will be approximately an hour. I usually watch this as it's cooking and add more broth as needed.
- While lentils and rice are cooking, heat oil in a separate pan and saute onions, garlic and carrot. Add steamed broccoli, cook another minute and then season with basil, salt and pepper to taste. This will be mixed with the other ingredients, so you'll want to be a bit generous with the spices.
- Add the lentil/rice mixture to the vegetable mixture when both are done. Add cashews. Mix everything together well.
- Put mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with Cashew Gravy.