Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 1 min
These lovely, healthy fritters are a flavor explosion in your mouth!!! PREP TIME INCLUDES 1 1/2 HOURS STANDING TIME.
- 3⁄4 cup brown lentils
- 1⁄2 cup burghul (bulger)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 small lebanese cucumber
- 1 cup greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from the heat and top up with enough water to just cover the lentils. Pour in the bulger, cover and let stand for 1 1/2 hours, or until the bulger has expanded.
- For the yogurt sauce, halve the cucumber lengthways, remove the seeds with a teaspoon and discard seeds. Grate the flesh and mix in a bowl with yoghurt and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the cumin and coriander. Add the onion mixture, mint, eggs, four and sea salt to the lentil mixture and mix well. The mixture should hold together well enough to drop spoonfuls into the frying pan. If the mixture is too wet, add flour to bind.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in the cleaned frying pan. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture into the pan (the fritters should spread to about 2 inches in diameter) and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until browned.
- Drain on crumpled paper towels, season with salt and serve with the yoghurt sauce.