Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Slow cooked from Diabetic Living
Make and share this Lemony Lamb Pitas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 907.18 g leg of lamb, boneless
- 2.46 ml lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 1.23 ml lemon peel, finely shredded
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml fresh rosemary, snipped or 1.23 ml dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 118.29 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 59.14 ml cucumber, chopped and seeded
- 2.46 ml lemon pepper seasoning
- Place onion in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Trim fat from roast. In a small bowl combine lemon-pepper seasoning and dry mustard. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the roast; rub in lightly with your fingers. Place roast in cooker. In a small bowl combine broth, lemon peel, lemon juice, rosemary, and garlic. Pour over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat from cooker. Using two forks, shred meat; discard fat. Place meat in a medium bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove onion from cooker and stir into meat mixture. Discard cooking liquid in cooker.
- To serve, open pita bread halves to form pockets. Place a lettuce leaf in each pita half. Spoon meat into pita halves. Top meat with Yogurt Sauce and chopped tomato.
- For yogurt sauce:.
- In a small bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Makes about 1/2 cup.