Recipe by Sharon123
This soup is delicious! I usually add more potatoes. Yum!
Top Review by Hudakore
Outstanding! My 6-year-old granddaughter even said I should enter it in a contest. Imagine that! Finally, a celery soup with no dairy or eggs. I will be making it often. I'd also like to try canning it so it'll always be on hand. The wonderful "bouquet" lasts for a while. I also tried it with a pinch of curry (about 1 tsp) to the recipe. Great for a variation.
- 4 potatoes
- 8 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 -6 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use veg.)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water (use chicken broth can)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 -8 spinach leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- slivers fresh lemon rind
- black pepper
- 4 slices French bread
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- Combine with celery and onions.
- In saucepan, heat butter.
- Add veggies and saute, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, water and lemon juice.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or till tender.
- Puree using blender.
- Return to pan.
- Stir in seasonings to taste.
- Add spinach, and heat till spinach is limp.
- Garnish with slivers of lemon rind.
- For 8 servings- double ingredients but use only 3 1/2 cans of broth.
- Increase cooking time to about 25 minutes.
- Serve with cheese toast made by buttering 4 slices of French bread.
- Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese and with paprika.
- Broil for 5 minutes.